Sunday, December 25, 2005

Selling Your Soul

I wrote the following in 2003 after watching two poorly done movies about selling your soul to the devil. I am also too old and think this has not been well done since 1958 in Damn Yankees. In any case, these movies are based on a false theological premise, which is the point of my feeble verse.

Selling your Soul
By P.Davis © 2005

Much ado is made about it
More acclaim is given to it
The desire in us does shimmer
Allure out there does glimmer
How much more we wish we could be
For that one thing which we fancy

We could have what we seek
No longer being mild and meek
We could be what we desire
Power and greatness would be ours
What wonders we might sire
If for our soul we could find a single buyer

One single word of caution if I might
One short motto I may recite
We have been already sold to sedition
Slaves bound for darkest perdition
In chains we are bound already
In service right and steady

It is only faith in Christ
In keeping his precious tryst
It is in him, his person alone
That we find freedom grown
It is only binding to the One
That life abundant is in the Son

Selling your soul?
Certain of your price?
It is sold already, say I
And the worst of it is
You went out with nary a fizz
The cheapest bargain it ‘twas

The price which you paid
The fine which you made
Blame the path which you took
When all, for sin, you forsook
To seek your own more deeply
But you sold yourself too cheaply

Cheaply do you ask? Are you devaluing me?
Not so, I sigh, merely that I see
T’was God’s only Son
Who alone got the job done
The one for you willing to die
That price is why still I do sigh

While you hope yourself to sell
What is already paid for in hell
Since you are already bought
A slave who’s been redeemed
No matter how you schemed
The only question left to be sought
Is by whom are you bought?

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Love this concept. Reminds me a bit of something you'd see in old school poetry.

Patrick Davis said...

Old school here. Thanks for the compliment!
Dad